Re: Oracle 8 on Windows XP

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 17:21:53 GMT

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 19:14:47 +0200, User interested us by writing:

> more or less similar to software on "Oracle 8 for Windows" CD.
> What exactly should I download? Could you tell me, please?

Why the concern about 'Oracle 8 for Windows'? Are you trying to take a course or use a book that used that version?

Much of Oracle is backward compatible. So ORacle 10g and Oracle9i will both run almost all examples in the same way as Oracle8. There are significant 'improvements' in the features and management tools, but stuff written for 8 will generally work for 9i and 10g unchanged.

Unless you have a specific reason to go to 9i, I'd encourage you go for 10g.

Also - while you are visiting the otn.oracle.com, look at the online tutorial called 'Oracle By Example'. Currently it's under the 'Training' link.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com