Re: TO_CHAR - differences v.8.1.7 vs. 9.2.0

From: Randi W <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:28:12 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:j71oh1l0c6mhq16g6botuu5p0mf9f6q1mi_at_4ax.com...
> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:25:20 +0200, "Randi W" <randiwolner_at_hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Ok, we just got a new idea about this, which is to write our own
>>"TO_CHAR"-function and overload it with the datatypes that are likely to
>>come as parameters. In the one with at VARCHAR2-parameter we just return
>>the
>>same value that was sent in, but in the others we return the result from
>>TO_CHAR.
>>
>>- Randi
>
> Great solution. Reinventing the wheel and introducing more unstable
> code, in a solution that is already instable.
> Why don't you follow up Mark's suggestion and repair the generator,
> instead of introducing new hacks.
> And, BTW, why do you insist on top-posting? Do you read from bottom to
> top, or is hitting ctrl-end asked too much?
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Usually I have already read the messages prior to the one I answer, so I actually have not thought about hitting ctrl-end before. If this is regarded as better netiquette I will certainly change my way.

And BTW I have thought of this forum as a place for getting advices and ideas, sharing experiences etc. in a friendly manner. Getting your kind of grumpy anwers really make me change my mind about this and about using it at all.

Have a nice day!

R. Received on Mon Sep 05 2005 - 04:28:12 CDT