Re: Which background process regulates amount of pga memory per session in 10g ? Thanks, rm.

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:14:23 GMT

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 15:28:05 -0700, Ranko.Mosic_at_gmail.com interested us by writing:

> If pga_aggregate_target is set to some value ( say 50M ) when total PGA
> for all sessions
> reached 50M then subsequent memory allocations for PGA are smaller then
> initially.
> Which process does that ? Does server process ( session ) check what
> amount of PGA
> it can allocate ? Or there is something similar to MMON that regulates
> SGA ?
Assumption here ...

Since the PGA is not shared, each server process will be responsible for allocating it's own memory.

Without using the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET, each server process will simply allocate the PGA amount it wants based on such parameteres as SORT_AREA_SIZE, etc.

When using the TARGET, the server process presumably will check before making the request to malloc.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com