Re: Archive Processes

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2005 14:49:49 -0700

shettysushil_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Joel, i am not asking about archive destinations its the archive
> processes which i m looking for.The destinations are properly defined
> for prmary as well as standby.But the archive processes are always busy
> communicating with the RFS at standby so the primary site gets hanged.
> we are on 9205 on HP-UX
> parametes are
> log_archive_dest_1='string1'
> log_archive_dest_2='service='' arch optional'
> log_archive_max_processes=4
> log_archive_dest_state_1=enable
> log_archive_dest_state_1=enable
> log_archive_min_succeed_dest=1
>
> Thanks in Advance
> sushil

Your problem is fixed in 10g. See
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=BUG&p_id=3142091 The essential problem is that no arch process is dedicated local - Oracle starts up as many arch processes as it needs, but eventually they all get stuck waiting for the network.

Mark Bole's answer (or upgrading your network bandwidth) plus David's is probably the correct one for this situation. You will likely run into more serious RFS issues if you keep doing what you are doing. Pre-9205, it could crash your primary db, I don't know if that can still happen as I've gone back to the olden ways of homegrown standby (for 9206 hp-ux). You might also read metalink note: 255959.1 and ask support if they have any suggestions for adding options to your ...dest_2 and if you should make your redo groups more numerous (to allow time for the network to drain).

David's answers are excellent, as usual he describes what I mean better than I do before I can even say anything.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://michaelpaulus.com/gallery/character-Skeletons/pikachu_1