Re: Why would installing Oracle 10g decrease overall disk performance?

From: Wes Harrison <nospam_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:08:30 +1000

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:1125017707.850612.299530_at_g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> Wes Harrison wrote:
> > SiSoft SANDRA Pro to do a File System Benchmark before and after the
> > installation. Before, the drive index is about 80MB/S but this
decreases by
> > half after Oracle is installed. If I uninstall Oracle, the drive index
> > returns to about 80. Reinstall Oracle and it goes back down to about
40.

> Have you tried with Oracle installed but shutdown?
> If it is started up, Oracle peeks at the redo log and control files
> every coupla seconds. It's enough to throw disk benchmark programs
> out the window: they assume nothing else is running.
>
> > Does it have
> > something to do with some of the Oracle processes interfering with
SANDRA
> > Pro?
>
> My guess: yes. Anything doing IO while SANDRA is running will
> affect the results.

Well I have tried it with Oracle installed but with all the services stopped and the performance index is about the same as though Oracle wasn't installed. Clearly then it has something to do with the running Oracle processes.

What I need to know is if the Oracle processes really do cause a general slowdown in disk performance or whether they simply interfere with the SANDRA benchmark and cause it to give erroneous results.

Any thoughts?

Wes Received on Thu Sep 01 2005 - 05:08:30 CDT