Re: Oracle 8 setup on a unix machine

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2005 07:23:35 -0700

rockwell_001_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> Hello all, i am new to oracle, i just know how to install oracle on a
> windows machine. I donot know how to install and setup oracle on a
> solaris server. I have been assigned to setup oracle on a solaris web
> server. For my intial start can any one please tell me what all the
> environment variables i need to setup or what all the listeners i need
> to start. I am going through some documentation but its all scattered
> for me. I would realy appreciate if you you guys help me.
>
> Thanks in advance .......

First off, you realize of course that Oracle 8.1 has been out of support for nearly a year now. Oracle 8.0 (your subject line doesn't specify) hasn't been supported in this century.

Second, this isn't Windoze. You will have to pay more attention than just mounting a cd and clicking on 'setup.exe'.

Third, there is a very nice installation guide that spells out everything you have to do to install. I imagine it is on the CD. It even gives the recommended values for some shared memory parameters that have to be set in /etc/system (Solaris). This should require root access. If it doesn't, you've got some severe security issues on your server.

"what all the listeners <you> need to start" are exactly the same as in Windoze ... one. You start it the same way ... from an OS prompt, enter the command 'lsnrctl start'. Received on Tue Aug 30 2005 - 09:23:35 CDT