Re: Consequences of adding columns to tables ?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2005 07:20:18 -0700

Spendius, Sybrand pretty much answered your questions. I would just like to add that adding an additional column to a table design is not that unusual and as long as the column is not a key field does not usually really affect the data model other than the fact another attribute exists.

Adding new columns to existing tables is one of our main activities. Minor changes in business requirements often result in the need for a new column on an existing table to track the new requirement. Populating these new columns usually does not result in row migration, but it is a possibility where the change involves several new columns that must be populated for existing data. You can deal with each case as necessary.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Tue Aug 30 2005 - 09:20:18 CDT