Re: NewBie question: 9i query runs slower than same query on 8i?

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 11:37:51 +0100

In message <1125290466.914262_at_yasure>, DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> writes
>Comments in-line.
>
>paulhux174_at_hotmail.com wrote:
>> Thanks for you responses, but
>> The Oracle database hasn't changed, it still is the same db running on
>> the same remote server( not local on my machine).
>
>Wrong answer ... it is a completely different database by definition.
>Different data dictionary, different system tablespace, different
>rollback/undo tablespace, different temp tablespace, hopefully a
>different tablespace type, definitely different initialization
>parameters.
>
>> the queries in the program haven't changed.
>
>Nonsense ... of course they have. The SQL you issue is irrelevant.
>What is relevant is what Oracle does with it ... run Explain Plan
>on both.
>
>> the only change is the local ODBC driver, 8i -> 9i on mt local
>> machine. There must be some well known configuration differences that I
>> need setup??
>
>The one in your head. You've been given excellent advice. Follow it or
>YOYO. Without Explain Plans there is nothing more we can do to help you.

Daniel,

It really is time you stopped being such a pompous bigot and learned to read.

How does changing the client software change the query plan?

--
Jim Smith
Because of their persistent net abuse, I ignore mail from