Re: NewBie question: 9i query runs slower than same query on 8i?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:41:56 -0700

Comments in-line.

paulhux174_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Thanks for you responses, but
> The Oracle database hasn't changed, it still is the same db running on
> the same remote server( not local on my machine).

Wrong answer ... it is a completely different database by definition. Different data dictionary, different system tablespace, different rollback/undo tablespace, different temp tablespace, hopefully a different tablespace type, definitely different initialization parameters.

> the queries in the program haven't changed.

Nonsense ... of course they have. The SQL you issue is irrelevant. What is relevant is what Oracle does with it ... run Explain Plan on both.

> the only change is the local ODBC driver, 8i -> 9i on mt local
> machine. There must be some well known configuration differences that I
> need setup??

The one in your head. You've been given excellent advice. Follow it or YOYO. Without Explain Plans there is nothing more we can do to help you.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org