slightly off topic - "break" a database

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 25 Aug 2005 16:30:56 -0700

Today I found myself in a strange mood.

As a joke, I renamed the datafile for the system tablespace from SYSTEM01.DBF to SYSTEMO1.DBF on a colleague's laptop (replacing a zero with an OH).

I got a laugh out of it ... but it is a bit of a time bomb out there.

I guess that its not really funny until he or someone else tries to start it up. Then its not really that funny, either.

It would be a good test exercise in terms of sitting someone down in front of a database that seems to have a bit of a problem and doesn't want to open. See how many minutes it takes for them to figure it out, or go looking for a backup set to restore. I'll bet that the average dba would have run dbv against it at least twice and checked the file ownership and permissions before realizing the "tweakage".

Just thought that I would share.

-bdbafh Received on Thu Aug 25 2005 - 18:30:56 CDT