Re: slightly off topic - "break" a database

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:05:06 -0700

bdbafh_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Today I found myself in a strange mood.
>
> As a joke, I renamed the datafile for the system tablespace from
> SYSTEM01.DBF to SYSTEMO1.DBF on a colleague's laptop (replacing a zero
> with an OH).
>
> I got a laugh out of it ... but it is a bit of a time bomb out there.
>
> I guess that its not really funny until he or someone else tries to
> start it up. Then its not really that funny, either.
>
> It would be a good test exercise in terms of sitting someone down in
> front of a database that seems to have a bit of a problem and doesn't
> want to open. See how many minutes it takes for them to figure it out,
> or go looking for a backup set to restore. I'll bet that the average
> dba would have run dbv against it at least twice and checked the file
> ownership and permissions before realizing the "tweakage".
>
> Just thought that I would share.
>
> -bdbafh

Two things:

  1. I hope you lose your job
  2. I hope someday you develop something called maturity

What you did is appalling and had you done it to my laptop you would find yourself hiring an attorney.

I suggest you immediately go to this person, apologize, and offer to make it right no matter the cost.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org