Re: export/import

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 04:43:40 GMT

bards wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> just a quick one hopefully....
>

> If I perform a full export of a database on version 8.1.7 and then
> perform a full import of that resultant file to a 10.1.0.3 database
> which has already been created and contains all the relevant tablespaces
> etc, is it sufficient to set "IGNORE=Y" and "DESTROY=N" to force the
> rest of the import to populate the ALREADY CREATED 10g tablespaces etc ?
>
> Will this in any way affect the 8.1.7 datafiles or tablespaces ?
>
> I dont think so but I'm a bit rusty on this stuff.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bards.

I can't answer your exact question. Surely a test is in order. (Your question about "affecting 8.1.7" is confusing... since you are obviously not importing into the 8.1.7 database). Are the databases on the same server?

But I will note that I have *never* needed or wanted to perform a FULL exp/imp. User-level (schemas) or table-level exp/imp has always been sufficient and beneficial to accomplish whatever I needed for numerous production environments, as far back as version 6 and all migrations since. Is there something you wish to accomplish that requires FULL?

-Mark Bole Received on Wed Aug 24 2005 - 23:43:40 CDT