Fetch speed of table with long columns.

From: <pista.german_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2005 07:58:58 -0700

Hallo all,
I'm using Oracle DB v. 7.3.4.5.0 (On Unix). Clients run on WXP boxes. I'm wondering about perfomance of fetching data from tables containing column of LONG datatype. Most significant impact of this behaviour is tho one on transfer of data to MS SQL DB (SQL Server 2000) thru linked server, where fransfer of data (something like select * from dummy_table) takes enormous amount of time compared to other tables with similar number of records of data, but without of long column.

I wonder:
If perormance can be really slowed down by that LONG column? If there is a way for tuning Oracle connection? (e.g. force Oracle to send larger chunks of data.)
If there is something i can do for optimizing such table? (No structral changes.)
If I can tune linked server somehow?

Thanks. P. Received on Tue Aug 23 2005 - 09:58:58 CDT