Re: Fetch speed of table with long columns.

From: Oxnard <shankeypNO_SPAM_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:21:58 -0500

<pista.german_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1124809138.412956.86590_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hallo all,
> I'm using Oracle DB v. 7.3.4.5.0 (On Unix). Clients run on WXP boxes.
> I'm wondering about perfomance of fetching data from tables containing
> column of LONG datatype. Most significant impact of this behaviour is
> tho one on transfer of data to MS SQL DB (SQL Server 2000) thru linked
> server, where fransfer of data (something like select * from
> dummy_table) takes enormous amount of time compared to other tables
> with similar number of records of data, but without of long column.
>
> I wonder:
> If perormance can be really slowed down by that LONG column?
> If there is a way for tuning Oracle connection? (e.g. force Oracle to
> send larger chunks of data.)
> If there is something i can do for optimizing such table? (No structral
> changes.)
> If I can tune linked server somehow?
>
> Thanks. P.

a long column is just that a long column. I believe long columns could be used to hold binary data such as graph files.

using sql+ one can control to a large degree using the arrarylist and buffer. But I cannot say as I have not setup a link between oracle and sql server. If your using some type of ODBC connection you may try looking for arraylist and buffer. Received on Tue Aug 23 2005 - 16:21:58 CDT