Re: Question: Yet more RMAN frustration...

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Aug 2005 17:02:38 -0700

Alright, I'm doing better than yesterday.

I spent a fair bit of time today trying to do an incomplete recovery. Failed, failed, failed - well, to be more precise, the change I made to the data after the backup was not 'undone' by the recovery. UNTIL I read/discovered/realized that you don't do an incomplete recovery on a tablespace. No problem, I understand that now, and I can see why that's the case - and, since I changed my process to work on a database level I've gotten an incomplete recovery to work properly - now onto TSPITR.

Now: even though I included the 'set until time' clause in my restore string, it obviously disregarded that portion of the string.

What kind of surprised me, though, is that it didn't trigger an error condition. If the 'set until time' clause can't be used on a tablespace level, then should an error not have been thrown?? Or is there perhaps some use for the 'set until time' clause within a tablespace-level restore that I'm not yet aware of?

Just curious.

Restore string was:

run {sql 'alter tablespace small_tables_2 offline'; allocate channel ch1 type disk; sql "alter session set nls_date_format=''YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS''"; set until time='2005-AUG-04 16:36:00'; restore tablespace small_tables_2; switch datafile all; recover tablespace small_tables_2; sql 'alter tablespace small_tables_2 online';}

Thanks!

DW Received on Thu Aug 04 2005 - 19:02:38 CDT