Re: troll

From: Jurgen Haan <jurgen_at_fake.dom>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:02:06 +0200

Serge Rielau wrote:

> Call it RAC, GRID, autonomous computing, queuing, advanced XML,
> information integration. I think the commercial database vendors will
> stay ahead of the open source crowd for the foreseeable future.
> Comparing marketshare between the faction in this environment is another
> can of worms.

I DO think you're underestimating both growth rate and capabilities of the OS databases. I honestly think those databases will gain a lot of marketshare in a very short time. We're using DB2 atm for our ASP service, but it's mainly because of the reputation and the lack of practice information concerning OS databases. We're not willing to take the risk of using an OS database that *might* not be up to the task. But a database like postgres might aswell be able to do the things we need. It *has* the capabilities we need; SQL, backup/restore, stored procedures, ODBC connectivity, schema's, tablespaces, ACID, and so on... The are a few things that are unclear: TPS and stability. The biggest things lacking for OS databases are not very technical, these are reputation (DB2/Oracle/Informix/Sybase etc. are proven technology and built a certain reputation over the years) and support (still notoriously little support for OS databases). I see a lot of young companies around me, and they all consider OS databases first. Only if an OS database doesn't fit, then and only then will they consider an expensive commercial database.

Sure, the commercial databases have a solid base of customers, but I doubt the growth of customers is increasing or even stable.

But one thing we can all agree on is MSSQL. I cannot place that thing anywhere. Too expensive to compete with OS, and too ..erm.. arcane to compete with commercial databases. But one behemoth of marketing :P

-R- Received on Thu Aug 04 2005 - 04:02:06 CDT