Re: 10g Database Configuration Assistant fails with code ORA-12546

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:40:05 +0200

> Please see my recent reply to DA Morgan in relation to tnsnames.ora - I
> don't think that's the problem.

I did and responded.

> What do you mean by using IPC? What is it and how do I use it?

Another way of communicating over SQL*Net. Does not do routers, or networks, just Inter Program Calles (hence the name).

You have an entry in your tnsnames, for extproc.

For you server, the tnsnames entry would be something like (sorry - you have not mentioned the SID of your newly created database - assuming it is ORCL - replace with your choice):

orcl =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = orcl))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = orcl)
    )
  )

If you sqlnet.ora has an entry like (which it doesn't...): NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = aaabc.com

then change the above to:
orcl.aaabc.com =

    ( etc.

There's no need to add orcl to the listener's entry list, the instance will register itself with the listener in due time. If you find this takes too long, there are two approaches: - manually register the instance: as sysdba do: alter system register; - add orcl to the listener:
LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = orcl))         <<<< Add this
      )
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = KL5D)(PORT = 1521))
      )

    )
  )

Then stop and start the listener (at the server): lsnrctl stop
lsnrctl start

Note the reponse, it should contain a line like: Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
  Instance "orcl", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Hth,

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel