Re: No future for DB2

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 05:32:35 +1000

Madison Pruet apparently said,on my timestamp of 4/08/2005 5:27 AM:

> Going back to your original mis-statement....

Going back to your ORIGINAL statement

>>[MP]
>>1) replicate all of the trigger activity performed on the original table

So, what happens if a trigger in that table changes ANOTHER table that is not being replicated? Do the OTHER table's changes get replicated as well? Note: you asked for "ALL trigger activity".

>>2) distinguish between updates on a row and inserts/deletes on the same

> row?
>
>>     (If not, then cascade deletes are not properly performed)
>>3) properly handle cascading updates
>>
>>[Noons]If I understand your question correctly, that is not possible
>>with ANY replication in any database version.

> Well - it just isn't true.

Well, it just is true. You just do NOT understand the full consequences of your requirement 1) above. Nor does the other "responder".

And I also stated that Dataguard indeed can cope with that. Something you appear to be forgetting.

--
Nuno Souto
in sunny Sydney, Australia