Re: Problem with XMLType attribibutes? please confirm

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_arcor.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 20:31:32 +0200

Frank van Bortel schrieb:
> Results from a windowsed sqlplus (sqlplusw.exe):
>
> SQL> select data_char from my_table where contains(data_char,'1
> inpath(//au/@id)')>0;
>
> DATA_CHAR
> <document>
> <au first="Rüdiger" id="1">Rüdiger</au>
> </document>
>
> <document>
> <au first="Ruediger" id="1">Rüdiger</au>
> </document>
>
> Same query, now from a command-line sqlplus.exe,
> active codepage: 437 or 1252 (no difference):
>
> DATA_CHAR
>
> <document>
> <au first="Rⁿdiger" id="1">Rⁿdiger</au>
> </document>
>
> <document>
> <au first="Ruediger" id="1">Rⁿdiger</au>
> </document>
>
> So, I will keep my reservations about the tools in use.

Frank, both, sqlplus and sqlplusw don't differ regarding the UTF8. Both are not 'UTF enabled', iSqlplus , for example, does. The codepage is responsible for the characters can be displayed on your terminal, and , in 1252 'ü' can be definitely displayed. The difference you experienced is most probably only due to differences in NLS_LANG setting for both clients ( sqlplus and sqlplusw ). I'm not so familiar with windows, so i can not explain , why is it, but if you try to drop the my_table and do the whole exercise in sqlplus.exe ( also command-line) , you should see the correct results ( but weird characters in sqlplusw ). The whole issue is only about NLS_LANG ,database charset and character conversion, not about UTF8 and codepages... ( i meant of course only mangled 'ü' part from OP , indeed there are more problems as it seems ).

Best regards

Maxim Received on Wed Aug 03 2005 - 13:31:32 CDT