Re: Problem with XMLType attribibutes? please confirm

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:24:39 +0200

Ko van der Sloot wrote:
> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>

>>Ko van der Sloot wrote:
>>This has little or nothing to do with Oracle, and everything with:
>>a) the tool you use to display the results
>>b) the platform you use

> please reread the discussion:
>
> First: I posted an example containing ü characters.
> Some of them were correctly retrieved. Others not.
> So our Oracle DB is capable of storing and retrieving ü, yes?

I must have missed something, because your original post as I received it, didn't contain data retrieving.

> Ans so are my tools, because I used cut-and-paste to create my mail.
>
> Then: Andrew Hardy replied that he got the correct result.
> BUT: In his mail all ü characters were mangled. so it was unclear to me
> if he realy entered ü characters in hit DB or that they were already
> mangled beforehand.

Tested on SLES8/10gR1: Same result as Andrew. You put in 'ü' but (possibly in the xmltype constructor) they got mangled.

> Then: I asked to clearify this. But he didn't upto now.

I'll do on his behalf: They seem to get mangled. But then tested in a plain varchar2 field the 'ü' gets mangled too.

>>I am guessing (which I shouldn't): SQL*Plus and Windows.

> Well: I am using the gqlplus tool on a RedHat Linux system.
> Oracle also runs there.

Important information that, if supplied in the first place wouldn't have led Frank (and indeed me, too) on the wrong path.

>>Check code page (chcp), change to 1252.

> Which is EVIL of course. We want full UTF8

But would have been the right advice of course for the situation Frank describes. SQL*Plus on Windows (from the command line) using code page 1252 would come as near to UTF-8 as it can get.

Now that all the confusion is hopefully resolved, could you please post *your* results when you execute the query.

Sofar I for one don't even know what this thread is *really* about.

Regards,
Holger Received on Wed Aug 03 2005 - 08:24:39 CDT