Re: No future for DB2

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 14:57:44 -0700

Bob Jones wrote:
>>Recoveries? Yeah, I seldom need to recover databases. But I think
>>that a primary responsibility of a dba is to be able to restore a
>>database. :-) So, I'm a big believer to running backup/restore drills
>>if necessary to develop that skill.
>>

> How could running recovery drills be easier in DB2 than in Oracle?

I found the idea that backup/recovery was an issue fascinating. When I set up a server I create a backup routine, test it, and then forget it except when configuration changes are made or to perform routine verification that it still works. If it is something someone has to think about daily they did a lousy job of it.

I must confess, though, that these days if my system did anything other than melt down I would NEVER use a backup to recover. In Oracle I'd look at flashback table, flashback query, flashback database, lots of simple effective solutions before I ever went calling for the off-site backup tapes. I think some of these people are still operating the way they did in the 1980s.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org