Re: No future for DB2

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:03:30 GMT

> Recoveries? Yeah, I seldom need to recover databases. But I think
> that a primary responsibility of a dba is to be able to restore a
> database. :-) So, I'm a big believer to running backup/restore drills
> if necessary to develop that skill.

How could running recovery drills be easier in DB2 than in Oracle?

>> This is a pure assumption. Apparently they have not been Oracle trained.

> True. Nor had they been db2-trained prior to starting this project.
> But I've got the same amount of experience with both databases, and
> have built similar data warehouse projects on both. Both are great for
> warehousing, with each having cool strengths. Oracle's partition
> management and third-party support is fantastic. DB2's MDC (like
> partitioning) is both fantastic and included in the base product. And
> supporting and explaining db2 is much easier in my experience.

If I were to compare Oracle and DB2, ease of use or support would be the last thing come to mind. The overall difference is so minor. Anybody with slightly different experience would disagree with you.

No, partitioning is not included in DB2 Workgroup Edition. You can't even do simple replications in DB2 without purchasing a separate product. Received on Sat Jul 30 2005 - 13:03:30 CDT