Re: How do I rename the storage area of a nested table?

From: pat <armstpat_at_wellsfargo.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2005 17:43:08 -0700

Thanks for mentioning Tom Kyte. I searched and found a lot of good information. For this database, we are one of the special cases he mentions in one of his articles. We are processing hundreds of GB of data per day. It is all in the form of messages that may have several hundred name/value pairs per message. We need to correlate on data that is stored in the parent table. There are no external relationships and the data has no other uses. It is all enterpise logging work. We are 24X7 and have processing requirements on the data that preclude us from truncating the table until it is seven days old.  We rename tables to avoid the overhead of copying the data from one table to the next. We keep many tables to reduce the dataset size for the different processing requirements.

We are maintaining schemas with both nested/non-nested tables during development. We have experienced over twice the insertion throughput with nested tables as opposed to non-nested. We eliminate iterating over the child elements with nested table inserts. Selects have been slightly slower, but that can be addressed with adding indexes per Tom's advise.

We haven't made a final decision, but when we do it will be based on real tests that weigh all of the options. Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 19:43:08 CDT