Re: No future for DB2

From: Anton Versteeg <Anton_Versteeg_at_nnll.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:17:46 +0200

Noons wrote:
> Anton Versteeg wrote:
>

>>No since Oracle has zip marketshare on the mainframe,
>>my statement is true, but to please you I will rephrase it to:
>>DB2 is the only product that has proven it runs on the mainframe,
>>midrange and PC and also sunstantial market share.

> Using EXACTLY the same argument as you then:
> I have NEVER come across DB2 on the PC. So,
> it doesn't run on the PC, period.
> Howzzat-den for argument?

I come accross DB2 on the Windows daily, even large banks use it, for instance with Siebel applications. I guess you don't look in the right places. Are your customers perhaps those small shops fond of dBase and the like?

>>>Size matters now?  :)
>>
>>yooo man :)

> Hurhurhur!...
> <G>
>
>>>Face it: outside of the mainframe environment, DB2
>>>has got NO CHANCE of long term survival.
>>>

>>Wannna bet? Kind of stealing from a child :)

> I will bet you a bottle of good shiraz that DB2
> will become a non-event in Windows in less than
> 5 years. Can I be more clear than that? No.

Well you would have to define non-event first. Maybe when Windows stops :)

--
Anton Versteeg
IBM Netherlands