Re: No future for DB2

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 00:26:54 -0700

Mark A wrote:

> "Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>

>>Oh puh-leaze: the ONLY reason IBM bought Informix
>>was that it was a cheap way of buying another 5 or so %
>>points in the db size of user base race so they could
>>claim to be ahead of Oracle!
>>
>>They NEVER had any plan to do anything else with Informix
>>other than improperly claiming their share of the market
>>as DB2's or IBm's.
>>
>>And that's a fact.
>>

> Kind of like Oracle buying Peoplesoft.

Not the case at all. I'll bet hard dollars that when Oracle get done fusing Oracle Apps with PeopleSoft ... some of what will disappear is existing Oracle Apps replaced by superior PeopleSoft design.

Informix will be lucky if it gets the respect Oracle has given to RDB. More likely it will be to IBM what Fox is to Microsoft. And that is a shame.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org