Re: No future for DB2

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:49:56 -0700

rkusenet wrote:
> This article is very bleak about future of DB2. How credible is the
> author. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1839681,00.asp

Graph the calendar year vs. the average age of DB2 developers and DBAs. Do the same for the other major commercial RDBMS products. You will have your answer.

It is not that DB2 is technically incapable of competing. Rather IBM is presiding over an aging baby-boom workforce. Speaking only from my experience in the US ... a large number of colleges and universities, including mine, have active programs teaching SQL Server and Oracle. I can not think of a single one teaching DB2.

I left Fortran for a reason.
I left COBOL for the same reason.
Those working with DB2 should take a serious look at which is more important ... product loyalty or paying the mortgage.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org