Re: No future for DB2

From: Captain Pedantic <theharlequin36_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:59:39 +0100

"bka" <badamache_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1122515145.936820.249390_at_g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>> If only IBM already had a database product hugely respected in the UNIX
>>> market, and in fact designed specifically *for* that market, eh?
>
> 4 in the top 9, including #1:
>
> http://www.tpc.org/tpcc/results/tpcc_perf_results.asp?resulttype=noncluster&version=5&currencyID=0

I was actually thinking of Informix. DB2 was not designed specifically for UNIX, but for the mainframe. We don't know if Informix would appear at or near the top of TPC benchmarks because IBM won't enter it for them. We used to believe that this because it would embarrass DB2, but personally I think it's more likely to be an extension of the policy of never promoting Informix, except to the existing user base. Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 01:59:39 CDT