Re: Storage (EMC) layout advice..

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:33:27 GMT

On 26 Jul 2005 17:04:05 -0700, bdbafh_at_gmail.com wrote:

>I'm partial to 8 disk RAID 10 volumes for datafiles.
>how about if you create one on each tray for datafiles and stripe
>across those?
>you could then use the remaining 7 drives per tray for 4 disk RAID 10
>and 2 disk RAID 1 vols with a hot spare.
>Aim for a 1 MB stripe on the 8 disk RAID 10 vols, as your OS supports
>that for a max IO size and based upon your db_block_size (or the block
>size for each tablespace) and the dbfmbrc oracle should be able to
>issue 1 MB read requests - in theory.

Do you know if OS supports higher than 1M? db_block_multi_block_read_count can be set to any number.. that doesn't mean OS will support it.

>kinda cool having the volume sizes increase by powers of 2.
>
>Are you planning on allocating any LUNs to ASM?

No.. and it'll be running 9i..

>Are you planning on reserving any LUNs for backup sets?

No, I don't believe in backups running on the same SAN.

>kudos on planning to run a new version of clusterware that hasn't even
>been released yet - you are most brave. Are you going to run 10g R2 on
>that as well?

This release is primarily to support AMD x64 chips in 64bit mode, I don't think there are any new significant features.. Additionally, we don't really use all of functionality. I just wish all these vendors worked better together... AMD servers came out more than a year ago, Veritas is only coming around now.. redhat 4 came out a number of months ago, Oracle and EMC are just coming around..

-a

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.5 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Jul 27 2005 - 12:33:27 CDT