Re: queries on db corruption..

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2005 11:03:31 -0700

nirav wrote:
> Thanks again gurus..Yes I do want to implement proper procedures...I
> think while they don't agree for changing to archivelog mode, they will
> agree to shut down the database once a week so that I can take cold
> physical backup. Actually the clients drive the procedures so our
> management really does not have much choice ...and clients are
> technically very competent and they told me that server crash etc has

>From what you have said, the clients are _not_ technically competent at
all. It is incumbent on your management to convince them to change their ways while stroking their egos. With RMAN, you don't have to shut down, and you don't have increased redo as with non-RMAN hot backups.

> not happened in last 5/6 years so that is why they do not want to
> change their ways..

That is just stupid. Every so often we see posts like "we have raid, we didn't have to worry about disks crashing. How can I recover my data?" Proof that there are indeed stupid questions.

> So I will have daily full export backup as well as a cold backup once
> in a week...some combination!!
> The work environment is really smooth so I will continue here, with
> prayers, cold & logical backups , and continued studies!!
> N..

Well, if some data for the last couple of weeks is not too important to lose, I guess that's ok then.

By the way, I once saw a place that diligently backed up their data every day. They didn't have a good backup for at least 18 months, though, since it was at least that long that it didn't fit on the tape, which had errors to /dev/null.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
DJ: "[Over There] has a scary female private part."