Re: looking for technology

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:00:53 +0100

hegyvari_at_ardents.hu (Hegyvari Krisztian) wrote:

>> What you describe is a flashback query. Available in 9i and 10g.

>Done checking the docs. The problem in my case with flashback is:

>- I need to keep 5 years of history. I have consulted the DBA who said
>that this is way out of question, they cannot hold that much undo for
>this system

Not surprisingly.

>- According to the docs, flashback will not work across DDL.

Surely only a trusted DBA would be authorised to modify DDL?

> I cannot
>ensure that no ddl will be performed on the table in 5 years.

Don't you do daily backups? With an Audit trail (can you set that up on 8?), and the necessary backup, you could see what happened to a given record at any point in time. Holding onto 5 years of data is not what Flashback is for, that's for backups.

If auditing doesn't exist on 8, then you'll have to implement triggersn and again hold onto your backups.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.