Re: Newbie: Simple User question

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Jul 2005 12:40:44 -0700

Comments embedded.
bbreukelen_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I'm new to oracle and am used to Mysql.
> I now use oracle because our Remedy application works best with oracle.
> I want to create a useraccount in oracle to access the database tables
> but I'm not sure how to restrict it.

YOu HAVE a user to access the database tables. Why do you need another?

> The application created an oracle user ARAdmin and a tablespace
> ARSystem.

And that is the user you need. Creating a second user with such access is asking for trouble in more ways than one, as your data integrity will have flown straight out the proverbial window, along with any good common sense you may have had prior to this request.

> I wish to create an oracle user accessible by the webserver only
> limited to localhost and with access to insert, update, select and
> delete in all tables within the tablespace from the arsystem
> tablespace.

Unless you create an on-logon trigger to kill any session not originating from the localhost you can't restrict client connections to a specific server. Also, you can't turn off the listener as Remedy needs to access the database. And you can't create such a trigger unless you also restrict the program used to sqlplus.exe, sqlplusw.exe or sqlplus (from a UNIX system) as Remedy would also fail to connect using that criteria, making Remedy unusable.

Oracle is NOT MySQL.

> That's the only thing I'm interested in and frankly I'm not very much
> into learning all about oracle.

Obvioiusly, as your question clearly indicates a lack of knowledge on how Oracle operates. Simply put, what you want cannot be done, since, as I stated above, Oracle IS NOT MySQL. You need to STOP thinking there's any similarity outside the syntax (which was, in my opinion, heavily 'lifted' from Oracle) and decide to actually LEARN the DBMS you're using. If you won't do that you should go BACK to MySQL since you obviously took the time to learn IT before you decided upon its use.

So, frankly, you HAVE a user account clearly designed for the access you desire. There is no need for another, and you cannot, using simple means a la MySQL, restrict the machine from which a user connects, a fact you would have soon realised had you taken the time and the effort to actually learn the mechanism of user access Oracle employs.

And, frankly, if you're going to be this lazy, you don't deserve the explanation you just received.

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Boudewijn

David FItzjarrell Received on Mon Jul 25 2005 - 14:40:44 CDT