Re: Prevent Root access from database

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_arcor.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:21:00 +0200

PhilB schrieb:
> You can still connect to the db and start it up using a password file
> rather than connecting using OS authentication, but the key thing is it
> forces you to enter the password.
>
> True, root could still create the groups. We could remove the config.s
> file as once oracle is relinked its no longer required, so then the
> groups would have to be guessed at, but this brings us back to my
> original point about root being able to do pretty much anything - the
> solution is still flawed.

Also, root can easily create new password file (of course, orapwd utility can be removed from your system as well, but it is not the issue to copy it from another host), to gain unauthorized access to the database. The main idea seems to be for me very like as to restrict dba to access the database. I think, the starting point is completely wrong - not the system account root should be restricted ( or you buy a risk to loose a big degree of functionality in your system ), only access to this system accont should be restricted ( for those purposes some strategies can be implemented - radius, kerberos or even disable the remote access and let the key from server room be keeped by CEO, so he can personally take any kind of system maintenance ). Paranoia is not so wrong in some cases, but at certain point you must recognize, that you should trust somebody ( at least until you don't have 100% selfmanaged systems ).
Of course, all said above is only my personal opinion...

Best regards

Maxim Received on Mon Jul 25 2005 - 10:21:00 CDT