Re: Toad Alternative(plus a comment on tool costs)

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:47:53 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:58:23 +0200, "Martijn Tonies"
> <m.tonies_at_upscene-removethis.nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>Database Workbench is multi-threaded for running queries.
>>
>>It's not multi-threaded for connecting or loading metadata objects
>>though.
>>

> And again a thread like this has resulted in the inevitable
> self-marketing, which should be correctly identified as *SPAM*
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

The sad thing is, that it started right off this way! Alexb asked for a tool cheaper than toad, when the expected answer didn't come out he gave the thread a quick knock in the right direction:

> Seriously all the tools mentioned are not multithreaded, they are all
> too cluttered for my taste. I found something at
> http://www.oncilla.com, it is still a beta did anyone try this tool?

Not to mention that he's wrong about toad or pl/sql developer not being multithreaded.
Only two hours later, he's already an expert (in the thread about toad not starting):

> Try a different tool, its at http://www.oncilla.com. very different
> than other tools I've seen

And then, another two hours later no more words about multithreading but nifty point and clicky thingys:

> When you are looking at the PLSQL spec the functions/procedures become
> hotlinks clicking them will lead you to the actual code in the Body. It
> also identifies packages in the code and creates them as links, its
> cool especially if you are working in a E Business database with so
> much code you can get lost. You have to play around in it to see what I
> am talking about.

That's the lamest spam I've seen in a while. Does anyone remember the first post where Alexb asked for something cheaper than Toad? Strangely enough, the oncilla site has no pricing informations (the tool is beta), so how can you actually compare prices if they don't exist? Aahh, I forgot, we're dealing with tripple valued logic here: If the price is null, then it might just be cheaper....

Cheers,
Holger

PS: And Alexb beware: One more mention of oncilla and you'll be marked as spammer forever. Received on Mon Jul 25 2005 - 01:47:53 CDT