Re: Preferred Application Server

From: nunyo beesness <nunyo_at_beesness.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:11:16 GMT

Billy wrote:
> nunyo wrote:
>

>>I've have a complex 50 user Paradox app.  Paradox is pretty much a dead
>>product, so after 11 years it's time to upgrade to Oracle with a web
>>based client.
>>
>>I'm new to Oracle, new to web client apps- if given a choice between
>>Oracle 10AS and Coldfusion (both company standards, must pick one),
>>which would you choose & why?

> I will choose HTMLDB. Numerous reasons:
>
> - App server is PL/SQL - which means using a skill that is required for
> Oracle development and not having to deal with additional Java
> skill sets.
> - App server is PL/SQL - which means that it scales with Oracle and
> Oracle scales a damn sight better than app servers
> - App server is PL/SQL - no need to buy additional h/w platforms as
> the middle tier
> - App server is PL/SQL - no need to buy and configure and integrate
> and support and maintain a 3rd party app server software
> - App server is PL/SQL - which means that you use the *best* and most
> performant language to deal with data in Oracle
>
> HTMLDB is a free 10G companion product. It works on Enterprise and
> Standard edition. It is backwards compatible with Oracle 9.2.x. It has
> a web design interface (think of it as having Microsoft Access web
> interface for Oracle).
>
> With HTMLDB, the PL/SQL skill set required is also really minimal. Very
> functional and nice looking web report systems can be build by
> developers with even no PL/SQL skills. Very advance web sites can also
> be built by skilled PL/SQL developers.
>
> I recommend you download it from:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/index.html
> (Download links include Companion, Client, Cluster Ready Services, and
> Oracle HTML DB standalone downloads)
>
> You install it via SQL*Plus. You point your Oracle Apache server at it
> (configuring a Data Access Decscriptor or a DaD). Then you use your
> browser and start development. While the app server guys are still
> trying to get the h/w platform setup to do their thing.
>
> Support: OTN has a HTMLDB forum. Where your questions are likely to be
> answered by the actual HTMLDB development team.
>
> asktom.oracle.com is a HTMLDB site. Which says a lot (Tom is one the
> experts on Oracle).
>
> --
> Billy
> PS. Did I mention that the app server is PL/SQl? Utterly fricken kewl
> stuff... ;-)

Our DBA has downloaded and installed HTML DB and we've been looking at it for the last couple week- time permitting. Unfortunately I haven't had time to actually learn anything.

One of my hats in SysAdmin and I've been mired in Craptive Directory and other necessary evils. (No- our db & apps servers are not windoze- They're RHL EL 3.)

I'll get into HTML DB ASAP- I promise! (Guess I'll have to go take a class in PL/SQL too!)

Foster Glascock Received on Sat Jul 23 2005 - 18:11:16 CDT