Re: Preferred Application Server

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 22 Jul 2005 02:52:03 -0700

nunyo wrote:
> I've have a complex 50 user Paradox app. Paradox is pretty much a dead
> product, so after 11 years it's time to upgrade to Oracle with a web
> based client.
>
> I'm new to Oracle, new to web client apps- if given a choice between
> Oracle 10AS and Coldfusion (both company standards, must pick one),
> which would you choose & why?

I will choose HTMLDB. Numerous reasons:

HTMLDB is a free 10G companion product. It works on Enterprise and Standard edition. It is backwards compatible with Oracle 9.2.x. It has a web design interface (think of it as having Microsoft Access web interface for Oracle).

With HTMLDB, the PL/SQL skill set required is also really minimal. Very functional and nice looking web report systems can be build by developers with even no PL/SQL skills. Very advance web sites can also be built by skilled PL/SQL developers.

I recommend you download it from:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/oracle10g/index.html (Download links include Companion, Client, Cluster Ready Services, and Oracle HTML DB standalone downloads)

You install it via SQL*Plus. You point your Oracle Apache server at it (configuring a Data Access Decscriptor or a DaD). Then you use your browser and start development. While the app server guys are still trying to get the h/w platform setup to do their thing.

Support: OTN has a HTMLDB forum. Where your questions are likely to be answered by the actual HTMLDB development team.

asktom.oracle.com is a HTMLDB site. Which says a lot (Tom is one the experts on Oracle).

--
Billy
PS. Did I mention that the app server is PL/SQl? Utterly fricken kewl