Re: Most performant way to code client script.

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Jul 2005 18:34:38 GMT

Christian Tischler <christian_at_myunix.net> wrote:
> xhoster_at_gmail.com wrote:
> > I would usually not try to do serious scientific computing within the
> > database using pl/sql or Java, but rather have a compute server pull
> > the data over and do the computation on it (with MatLab or project-R or
> > whatever it is you want.)
> >
> > Xho
> >

> That was our initial idea. I only considered letting the DB do some of
> the "precalculating" stuff.
> The next question (that does certainly not belong here but I ask it
> anyhow) is how to store the pulled data locally.

Usually the 3rd party software you are using will employ a highly specialized data structure (either in memory or on disk) dedicated to the analysis it is doing, and so that software will dictate how the data is stored. If you are lucky it will fetch the data itself from the database, given either a statement handle or a SQL string (or a set of accessor methods, although I'm not sure how lucky that would be). If you are unlucky you may need to create a "flat" file to serve as the go-between.

If you want to contact me via email with more details I may (or may not) be able to give better advice.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB