Re: AIX server running out of paging space

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 20:12:29 +0200

<jeffchirco_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1121709544.932742.17890_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> on 7/12 I put our test database on our production server, so we have
> two databases running on the server. This is only temporary. We had
> no problems all week until sometime Saturday night or early Sunday
> morning the machine ran out of paging space it seems. The machine was
> not responding to any command. I ended up shutting down our production
> database and restarting and everything was ok.
>
> In the alert log I found this error:
> skgpspawn failed:category = 27142, depinfo = 12, op = fork, loc =
> skgpspawn3
>
> When I do a errpt -a for find a error report, I see this:
> LABEL: PGSP_KILL
> IDENTIFIER: C5C09FFA
> Date/Time:
> Sat Jul 16 21:08:13 PDT
> Sequence Number: 978
> Machine Id: 0056D80A4C00
> Node Id: viper
> Class: S
> Type: PERM
> Resource Name: SYSVMM
> Description
> SOFTWARE PROGRAM ABNORMALLY TERMINATED
> Probable Causes
> SYSTEM RUNNING OUT OF PAGING SPACE
> Failure Causes
> INSUFFICIENT PAGING SPACE DEFINED FOR THE SYSTEM
> PROGRAM USING EXCESSIVE AMOUNT OF PAGING SPACE
>
> Recommended Actions
> DEFINE ADDITIONAL PAGING SPACE
> REDUCE PAGING SPACE REQUIREMENTS OF PROGRAM(S)
> Detail
> Data
> PROGRAM
> oracle
> USER'S PROCESS ID:
> 0
> PROGRAM'S PAGING SPACE USE IN 1KB BLOCKS
> 0
>
> After seeing this we increased the paging space on the server a little
> bit. I have read that paging space should be 2 times the size of
> physical memory. Right now it is less than size of memory. Does the
> size of the SGA mattet? What else should I check?
>
> I am a very Jr. DBA but yet the Sr. DBA for the company so any help
> would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,
How big is your SGA ? You should never set it higher than the amount of physical memory minus the amount of memory the OS needs. For AIX, I wouldn't set it higher than 75-80% of the total amount of physical memory. You can check the amount of memory with the commands "svmon -G" or "topas". Paging space should be 1-2 times the amount of physical memory. Paging space config : lsps -a.

HTH
Matthias Hoys Received on Mon Jul 18 2005 - 13:12:29 CDT