Implementation of boolean types.

From: Ach C via DBMonster.com <forum_at_DBMonster.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:55:49 GMT

Hi all,
 I have seen many databases that tables with columns such as IsMale,IsFemale, IsNull,Is...
 All these were somekind of boolean type with yes/no or true/false or 1/0 values.In DBMSs that supports
boolean or bit data type it can be implemented naturaly but in Oracle that does not have boolean or
bit,people usually use number(1) or char(1) for this purpose. My question: Is this design OK in your opinion? I personally think that this should be design using
a relationship with other tables such as HumanSex or...for scalability reasons and so on (Not in fe/male situation! )  Any other ideas are highly appreciated.
-Thanks in advance