Re: Oracle Stored Procedures VERSUS SQL Server Stored Procedures

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 10:44:46 -0700

Simon Hayes wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>

>>Simon Hayes wrote:
>>
>>>You don't say if your background is in Oracle or MSSQL, but if it's
>>>Oracle, then these links might be useful:
>>>
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/compare/oracle.mspx
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/sql/2000/all/reskit/en-us/part2/c0761.mspx
>>>
>>>As other posters have said, the two products have a large number of
>>>very significant differences, so it's often difficult to make very
>>>direct comparisons.
>>>
>>>Simon
>>
>>Just a quick note. The second link appears to refer to Oracle 8i which
>>has not been sold by Oracle for more than 4 years.
>>
>>For example this statement:
>>"Blob type storage - One long or long raw per table, must be at end of
>>row, data stored on same block(s) with row."
>>
>>LONG and LONG RAW data types have been deprecated. The BLOB data type,
>>as early as 9i held 4GB, had no restriction as to the number per table,
>>did not need to store the information in the same block with the row, and
>>did they need to be at any specific location in a table: A statement
>>which in and of itself is wrong as can be clearly seen:
>>
>> 1 create table ms_is_wrong (
>> 2 col1 NUMBER(5),
>> 3 longcol LONG,
>> 4 col3 NUMBER(5),
>> 5* col4 DATE)
>>SQL> /
>>
>>Table created.
>>
>>SQL> desc ms_is_wrong
>> Name Null? Type
>> ----------------------------------------- -------- ---------
>> COL1 NUMBER(5)
>> LONGCOL LONG
>> COL3 NUMBER(5)
>> COL4 DATE
>>
>>Clearly the LONG does not need to be the last column. And clearly
>>Microsoft has done its user community no favor with this document
>>as there are a large number of similarly egregious errors.
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>http://www.psoug.org
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace x with u to respond)
>

> Thanks for the information - I had another look at the MS docs for Oracle
> migration, and it appears that a more useful (and more extensive) document
> would be this one, which does indeed say that BLOB has now replaced LONG
> (see chapter 6, table 6.5):
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/cits/interopmigration/unix/oracleunixtosql/default.mspx
>
> Simon

Better but still a long way from best practice. For example: "Step 3: Fetch Strategy
Cursors are effective for row processing and batch processing."

The discussion seems to focus on technologies that are shared by both Oracle and SQL Server such as cursors whereas any good PL/SQL developer would take one look at a CURSOR LOOP and cut it from the code. In Oracle 9i and 10g best practice is to use bulk collection and FORALL.

The goal of the document seems to be get it to compile as close to the original as possible and nothing more which will lead to poor performance and scalability: Perhaps Microsoft's goal.