Re: Oracle Stored Procedures VERSUS SQL Server Stored Procedures

From: Simon Hayes <sql_at_hayes.ch>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:12:06 +0200

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1120837514.778684_at_yasure...
> Simon Hayes wrote:
>> You don't say if your background is in Oracle or MSSQL, but if it's
>> Oracle, then these links might be useful:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/compare/oracle.mspx
>> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/sql/2000/all/reskit/en-us/part2/c0761.mspx
>>
>> As other posters have said, the two products have a large number of
>> very significant differences, so it's often difficult to make very
>> direct comparisons.
>>
>> Simon
>
> Just a quick note. The second link appears to refer to Oracle 8i which
> has not been sold by Oracle for more than 4 years.
>
> For example this statement:
> "Blob type storage - One long or long raw per table, must be at end of
> row, data stored on same block(s) with row."
>
> LONG and LONG RAW data types have been deprecated. The BLOB data type,
> as early as 9i held 4GB, had no restriction as to the number per table,
> did not need to store the information in the same block with the row, and
> did they need to be at any specific location in a table: A statement
> which in and of itself is wrong as can be clearly seen:
>
> 1 create table ms_is_wrong (
> 2 col1 NUMBER(5),
> 3 longcol LONG,
> 4 col3 NUMBER(5),
> 5* col4 DATE)
> SQL> /
>
> Table created.
>
> SQL> desc ms_is_wrong
> Name Null? Type
> ----------------------------------------- -------- ---------
> COL1 NUMBER(5)
> LONGCOL LONG
> COL3 NUMBER(5)
> COL4 DATE
>
> Clearly the LONG does not need to be the last column. And clearly
> Microsoft has done its user community no favor with this document
> as there are a large number of similarly egregious errors.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Thanks for the information - I had another look at the MS docs for Oracle migration, and it appears that a more useful (and more extensive) document would be this one, which does indeed say that BLOB has now replaced LONG (see chapter 6, table 6.5):

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/cits/interopmigration/unix/oracleunixtosql/default.mspx

Simon Received on Fri Jul 08 2005 - 12:12:06 CDT