Re: After I remove the online fuzzy tag of the datafile, can it be safe on standby?

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:07:44 +0200

AnySQL (d.c.b.a) wrote:
> I did not trust myself, so I will not use my program to build any
> standby, just test and test on my personal computer.
>
> How quest build your trust? It's very tough.
>
> But now, I think you trust quest's software.

What has quest to do with this thread? RMAN is an Oracle developed, Oracle supplied and Oracle supported software. Quest is a third party vendor that I used to use. And believe me: I never trusted them.

And I don't trust RMAN either - I did test it and the results where repeatedly predictable. But even with RMAN, which comes very near to be trustworthy, you can easily burn yourself if something unexpected enters the picture and you're back to having to know what's going on and how to recover from that.

Do I rely on RMAN? Yes.
Do I trust it? To some extent.

Who do I have to trust? My brain, and even that fails me frequently!

Regards
Hooger Received on Wed Jul 06 2005 - 05:07:44 CDT