Re: After I remove the online fuzzy tag of the datafile, can it be safe on standby?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2005 17:00:12 -0700

>I did not trust myself, so I will not use my program to build any
>standby, just test and test on my personal computer

Well, you didn't test it enough. Look at http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/backrec.htm#i1005950 and search for the word "fractured."

You see, what you are doing is turning off the switch that says "hey oracle, we didn't use RMAN to back this up, so you need to recover and make the data consistent again." This is guaranteeing that you will screw things up. If you can't find something wrong, your testing is inadequate. Of course, most testing usually is. You need to be jamming enough transactions in while copying the data file that you catch the situation where an OS block has been updated before your copy is reading it, but the next OS block (which is part of the same Oracle block) hasn't been updated yet. And there's no way to force it since you don't have control of the database writer. And it is very likely on a busy database.

You need to understand the basic concepts before you write any tools, or anything else.

So you are saying your database is too busy to backup? Yikes. Get a competent DBA and fix your recovery procedures before you bother with a standby . http://www.dizwell.com/html/backup.html

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.