Re: Prespawning processes on dedicated server (8i)

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 5 Jul 2005 07:01:12 -0700

Ramon Poca wrote:

> So your real problem is you don't talk to each other with the app.
> server guys, not MTS.

Well, I would use MTS even if they did talk to me. Or even if I was responsible for both.

Oracle does not know the difference between a pooled connection and an ordinary connection. So whether or not the client connections are made from an app pool or not - that has no bearing on MTS stability, scalability and robustness. Nor any impact on the app server pool either, as by its very nature it needs to "set the session state" each time it uses a connection from its pool.

The bottom line is that to scale connections on the Oracle side, you need to reduce dedicated processes by using shared processes. Which means using MTS.

> If MTS is going to give me headaches and no real benefit but setting a
> fence around my systems...

I have had no headaches/bugs/problems/issues running MTS. The converse actually as I managed to keep a small 2 CPU box going using MTS when it was pushed to its limits and beyond (by Java & Corba app servers, batch jobs, and interactive user sessions).

--
Billy