Re: Oracle 10 RAC to 10G RAC standby

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 3 Jul 2005 05:22:30 -0700

Unknown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for you info here, usefull I agree with your approach here.
>
> I have done a single instance to single instance physical standby
> database. I'm happy with that setup, with 9i and 10G.
>
> What I am strugglng with is the RAC physical standby database setup.
>
> Things like, the log_archive_dest_n parameters, how should they be set for
> RAC, fal_server, fal_client, etc.....in a multiple instance scenario. What
> happens when the recovery instance dies etc.......
>
> I reference the docs : -
>
> OracleŽ Data Guard Broker
> 10g Release 1 (10.1)
> Part Number B10822-01
>
> OracleŽ Data Guard Concepts and Administration
> 10g Release 1 (10.1)
> Part Number B10823-01
>
> OracleŽ Database High Availability Architecture and Best Practices
> 10g Release 1 (10.1)
> Part Number B10726-02
>
> They do not give me detail information regarding a RAC database.
>
> Again, many thanks,
>
> Unknown.
>
> "hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > The Matt Hart book is kind of ten thousand foot view while it skims
> > across many topics it is not something to work from I don't believe.
> >
> > The manuals from Oracle are where you need to spend your time.
> >
> > Working with oracle support is a long frustrating and usually futile
> > approach. The main emphasis of oracle support is not to fix things or
> > to explain things but to close TARs as quickly as they can.
> >
> > What doc's from oracle have you been looking at that are not helpful?
> >
> > RAC is really a non player in what you are trying to do I believe.
> > First get expert in setting up and administering a standby database
> > without RAC, then bring it into the picture as you gain experience.
> >
> > Keep documenting stuff as you are working on it and progressing so you
> > don't forget what frustrated you or confused you and so that you spend
> > less time doing it the second and third time.

There are a bunch of RAC manuals that you may want to take a look at.

What you may really want to do is have the standby database be RAC capable but not be running as RAC normally.

Normally I setup RAC and have cluster_database set to false. Then for each instance that is rac I have cluster_database set to true.

Say your RAC db is named IRISH. If you have IRISH1 and IRISH2 instances up yes you are running RAC. But if you have only IRISH running it is not RAC.

This is also useful when you want to switch the database between archivelog and not.

srvctl stop database -d irish -- stops everything

export ORACLE_SID=irish

sqlplus /nolog
conn / as sysdba
startup mount
alter datbase noarchivelog
alter database open

You cannot do this unless running exclusive aka non cluster.

But this setup may work for you also as the parameters of where to ship the logs etc is much more straightforward. Received on Sun Jul 03 2005 - 07:22:30 CDT