Re: Prespawning processes on dedicated server (8i)

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 30 Jun 2005 22:36:28 -0700

Ramon Poca wrote:
> The problem is... MTS crashed with a bizarre ORA-00600 from time to
> time.

Please explain as there is no MTS process as such. The actual physical process image on disk that runs as a dedicated server is also used to run a shared server. The work that both does ito servicing client requests are *exactly* the same. The only difference resides in how these processes receives a request and transmits the results.

So saying that MTS causes ORA-0600's does not sound sensible to me. Unless this means that the Dispatcher specifically crashes - something that I've never seen myself.

I have been using MTS for many years and use it as the default on all my databases. I cannot recall ever having a problem that was specifically related to using a shared server and not a dedicated server. Heck, at times I even had to go as far as to kill -9 shared server processes as an ALTER SYSTEM KILL had no effect (and this is always a TOAD session that somehow manages to hang up the session using what seems to be debug statements).

The shared server pool nicely recovers as PMON detects the shared server process is gone and a new one is started to take its place.

> When prompted Oracle Support, they told us "upgrade"... :-(

Yeah.. but then running on something like 8.0.6 is not a bright idea. :-)

> Also, I've seen much wroten against pooling a pool.

Without hard technical facts and evidence and proof, that is likely crap spawned by ignorance and stupidity.

> I'd love to have MTS enabled, it would probably help and improve SGA
> reuse.

Nope it will not. It will actually force you to make the SGA (containing the large pool) bigger for the UGAs. MTS lowers the processing footprint (and thus total PGA). Not the SGA.

--
Billy