shared v.s. dedicated mode

From: Jeff Kish <jeff.kish_at_mro.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:31:59 -0400

Hi.

2 questions here...I'm working write not with Oracle 9.2.01 a) I wanted to see the difference between a database instance that is installed as 'dedicated' v.s. 'shared'. So I installed two instances, choosing 'shared' for one and 'dedicated' for the other. But when I go into enterprise manager console, and click on each instance, they both say in the TNS Descriptor on the page on the right, (SERVER=DEDICATED). So.. isn't this where it should say either 'DEDICATED' or 'SHARED'? If not, how can I tell the difference?

b)I'm seeing a deadlock problem at a customer site using Oracle 9.2.0.1 64 bit on AIX. I've never seen this before with the same software on a variety of other systems. Any chance that the above setting has anything to do with it?

Thanks Received on Thu Jun 30 2005 - 11:31:59 CDT