oradim authentication

From: Gerold Krommer <g.krommer_at_doremove.fns.co.at>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:27:27 +0200

This one has baffled me for a day now, so I turn to the gurus...

We are testing a (offline) backup script for a Oracle 9.2.0.6 database used in a W2003 Cluster with Oracle Failsafe. This goes like this (and I'm wide open for feedback if this is a good way)

Shut down our application
sqlplus "someauthentication" @shutdown_oracle.sql !This only contains a 'shutdown normal' and an 'exit'
net stop anOracleServiceXXX ! This is done since letting the service continue locks some files that we want to back up ntbackup xxxx
oradim -startup -sid XXX ! Oradim is used, since it runs synchronously,e.g. returns when the database is up
Start our application

Just before someone jumps in: The Cluster service is set to manual, so the shutdown does not force a failover...

Now for the problem:

On the pre-production system the oradim command failed with a

ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

and after a little research of mine was traced to the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE) entry in the SQLNET.ORA, which I changed to (NONE,NTS). So far so good, works now.

The problem is the test system, which is a replica of pre-production. On this system the same script runs with just the (NONE) and I do not have the slightes clue as of to why. I'm very uneasy because I do not know what is going on. Same user on both system and is in ORA_DBA.

Anyone any idea why this would happen? Is a password file lurking somewhere ?

Thanks,

/gerold Received on Thu Jun 30 2005 - 11:27:27 CDT