moving lob to different tablespace

From: steph <stephan0h_at_gmx.net>
Date: 30 Jun 2005 07:05:46 -0700

Hi,

Oracle 10G on Linux:

I have a large table TA1 sitting on tablespace TS1. On this table I have a column CO1 of type CLOB. As I have a second tablespace TS2 and I want to balance space usage a bit, I wanted to move CO1 to this tablespace:

alter table TA1 move lob(CO1) store as ( tablespace TS2 ) /

This lasted for a few minutes - as i said, the table is quite large. Now, looking at the tablespaces-overview in Enterprise Manager (I'm too lazy to do it by hand), I would have expected to see that TS2 was filled up a bit - but it seemed to be the same as before. Also, when I look at user_segments I see that the lob-segment only takes up 8 blocks on TS2. I would have expected it to be a few MBs. This seems strange to me. Where is my misunderstanding?

Thanks,
Stephan Received on Thu Jun 30 2005 - 09:05:46 CDT