Re: 9.2.0.4 - RHEL3

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 07:03:43 -0700

Tom wrote:
> One of our instances died last night and the person on support ended up
> bouncing the instance before any real debugging could occur.
>
> There is nothing in the alert log as to why this instance died and in
> the trace file for this incident there is lots of this..
>
> error 18 creating virtual circuit
> *** 2005-06-29 20:07:41.273
> error 18 creating virtual circuit
> *** 2005-06-29 20:07:41.425
> error 18 creating virtual circuit
> *** 2005-06-29 20:07:42.681
> error 18 creating virtual circuit
>
> does anyone know what that error means? I suspect leaky db connections
> from the app but wondering what others think about that error.
>
> thanks

Likely caused by using MTS and exceeding the maximum number of allowed sessions in the pfile.

But the person that bounced the instance. That is something you need to deal with immediately. Very specific written procedures need to be put in place that define actions, to be taken/or not taken, in this situation. There are plenty of very well documented examples of SA's and DBA's handling a situation like yours that, making decisions on-the-fly have turned a routine issue into a multi-day nightmare. Don't let it happen again. Your management needs to act decisively.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org