Re: Developer Privileges

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:53:52 -0700

Daniel wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I have a question regarding the privileges generally granted to the
> developers at large companies. I'm currently a Siebel developer,
> responsible also for the PL/SQL interfaces, and my privileges consist,
> in their entirety, to "connect", "create procedure" and one more that I
> forget. This is due to the consultant DBA's stubborness to want to
> control everything/everyone. I can't perform basic activities such as
> "create table", "create index", "alter session", "create type", ... For
> example, if I want to try (in a test environment) if a new index might
> help a query, I have to ask her to create it for me! No opportunity
> also to run sql tracing or event 10046, as I don't even have the
> privileges! Is that a very common scenario out there, or am I correct
> to whine about that situation? Has anyone of you been faced with this
> situation, and been able to convince the client to grant more
> privileges to you (in testing environment, of course!)?
>
> Thanx
>
> Daniel

The consultant DBA should be terminated. First for being a speedbump on the road to good development. Second because no DBA should be granting CONNECT to anyone: ever.

Developers in their own sandbox should be given any and all privileges they request. It is irrelevant if they trash it. They should most certainly have access to every v$ view and taught which ones to use and why.

When it comes to test, however, they should be given CREATE SESSION and nothing else.

Thus it is incumbent upon the development team to document those privileges their application actually requires.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org